Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Adding more discussion to the Pot

So we've now probably all heard about the pot-smoking members of a church who challenged that Canada's pot laws infringe on their religious freedoms. 


Rightfully so; the law is the law (the two men already face pot trafficking charges).

Let me just say, I've never smoked pot – at least intentionally. I've been to parties and concerts where pot smoke was more abundant than air and I probably got second-hand high.

In fact, I can recall one outdoor Neil Young concert in the late 90's during which I was dancing shirtless by the end of the night – probably as a result of the sweet smoke hanging above me. 

I'm not telling you about my general avoidance of weed smoking because I think I'm some kind of saint, or above those who use pot. I'm just saying my direct experience with the bud is very limited and it will likely stay that way (I'm afraid it would make me lazier and cause my clothes to smell funny – also, I can't afford the extra snack food). 

But it doesn't mean I don't understand why the next guy might want to indulge. 

At first, I admit I was even kind of annoyed that this case even made it to court. The claim seemed a bit ridiculous to me – trying to play the religion card to trump the law. 

But after reading more about the Church of the Universe and its rules (which are essentially don't hurt yourself and don't hurt anyone else), I began to think differently. 

It's not that I'm suddenly a marijuana advocate. 

But these church members seem to genuinely believe in the 'power' of pot.

And why shouldn't their church be taken seriously? What is a church if not a place where like-minded people gather to get closer to God?

These members just happen to believe pot, a product of the earth, helps them achieve that closeness to the Almighty. 

I was also initially concerned that its members may be buying from outside dealers, therefore fuelling the drug trade, but the church website suggests it is involved in the entire process from production to distribution: 

"The Sacred Herb, God's Tree of Life, Marijuana of the Assembly of the Church of the Universe is considered KOSHER which is to say that God’s Tree of Life is a Holy Sacrament in the Church and as such it  is imperative that our Holy Church Sacrament, God’s Tree of Life, Marijuana, by all its names and terms of endearment, be grown by our own Herbalists/Farmers, and distributed by our own Church Clergy."

So you be the judge. Do these guys seem genuine, or is this all a smokescreen to use and deal marijuana?

No comments:

Post a Comment