Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Fear and Loathing in... Mexico

Let me start by saying, I've never been to Mexico.

But I'd like to go someday. Really.

The resorts, the food, the history, the tequila... all intriguing to me.

But I admit I've fallen victim to traveler's anxiety.

As a member of the media for several years, I sometimes take certain reports with a grain of salt. But it's getting harder and harder to ignore the stories about Canadians who have visited Mexico and have died there from accidents or otherwise.

Here are some of the latest casualties and near-casualties. 

I realize thousands of Canadians probably travel to Mexico every year without incident. So percentage-wise, your chance of running into danger is likely very slim.

And I also realize people get injured or die from violence/accidents regularly in Canada. But would I travel to another country thousands of miles away to potentially get hurt in a place I really know nothing about? No.

It's not just me that's concerned. While doing some research on the subject of travel to Mexico, I noticed Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada is advising against Canadians heading to Mexico/United States border areas unless they really have to.

Foreign Affairs further advises that those travelling to Mexico "should exercise a high degree of caution due to a deteriorating security situation in many parts of the country."

It's usually a different experience from being at a resort, and hiring a guide to go into the main cities. For example, during a trip in the 1990's to the Dominican Republic (a Canadian teenager died there recently, reportedly at the hand of other Canadian tourists), my brother and I decided to hire a 'tour guide' to go into town.

Turns out our guide was also apparently a pimp (we said no, but we had to say it several times for him to leave us alone).

Anyways, my point is: When you go into an unknown city, you always assume some risk. When you go to a resort, you don't expect much danger.

Unless of course the place explodes. Just saying.

Luckily for me, I can't afford to travel right now, so it's a non-issue. But if I were looking, I'd bet there are deals to be had if your destination is Mexico.

And hey, if you've been there recently, and you had a good experience, please let me know so I can share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment