Total Pageviews

Friday, January 28, 2011

While you were texting...

So, the Toronto Transit Commission - the ol' TTC - has put itself in hot water again because now, one of its drivers was apparently texting while carrying a busload of people.

As the old saying goes, it's only wrong if you get caught. That seems to be the case for this unlucky fellow -- the driver can be seen here committing the alleged infraction.

OK, so right off the bat, you're probably thinking, "How could he be so irresponsible?"

But hold on, slow down a second. Especially if you're reading this blog on your phone while driving. (In fact, pull right over.)

I'm not condoning what the bus driver allegedly did (remember we're pretty much going by one rider's account of the incident and photo at this point).

I mean, I can't imagine what the bus driver would need to be texting about while knowing there are a number of human lives on board he could have been putting in danger (maybe his wife really needed him to pick up milk on the way home and it couldn't wait? And he was simply clarifying if she wanted one or two per cent?)

Silliness aside, this incident could serve as a wake-up call. Not just for the TTC, but for you. Yes, you. OK, and me, too.

Don't try to tell me you haven't texted while driving. Even after the law came into effect October 2009 banning you from doing so.

This is a small example of a much larger problem. People are increasingly becoming tied to their electronic devices, they have almost become a sixth (seventh?) sense.

I've seen many people in recent past using their phones in SUVs, trucks, cars, on bikes... the list goes on.

This particular guy happened to be driving a busload of people at the time of the incident. And he works (worked?) for a public service. So the spotlight is shining brightly on him.

Should he lose his job? That's not a call I want to make. Should we not point fingers and instead revise our own bad behaviour behind the wheel?

Definitely.

1 comment:

  1. What i was waiting for was a "bashing". But, what is brilliant about what you have written is that you look at the "whole" of this problem. Unfortunately this poor fellow will be the example. You may or may not know but I am also a driver for the commission. I do not condone this (texting) in anyway, and I am slightly embarrassed by this incident. I really hope he doesn't lose his job. This should teach all of us a lesson. TTC employees (that we are not untouchable, that we are human and we make mistakes) and to the general public, to concentrate on the road.
    This news has really opened my eyes to the severity of this situation. We all need to be accountable on the road. With more public scrutiny comes more pressure on front line works such as myself. More passengers will be looking, peering, give alot more attitude. The job is not easy, and speaking for myself I try my damn hardest to service the public. I will admit it does take it's toll on you mentally, and I guess that is why we are paid, what we are paid.

    ReplyDelete